Document Type : Research article
PhD student in English Department, Isfahan Branch (Khorasgan), Islamic Azad University, Isfahan, Iran
Assistant Professor of English Language Department, Isfahan Branch (Khorasgan), Islamic Azad University, Isfahan, Iran
Assistant Professor of English Language Department, Isfahan Branch (Khorasgan), Islamic Azad University,
This study aimed to investigate the extent to which L2 learners' use of L1 improves their speaking ability. Employing a quasi-experimental research design, the researchers studied the effect of learner code-switching on their speaking accuracy, fluency, and complexity scores. The participants of this study were 117 lower-intermediate students receiving English instruction in eight intact classes in different branches of a private institute. These classes were assigned to two +code-switching and –code-switching treatments randomly. While the participants in the +code-switching group could use Farsi for at most 30 seconds in each activity, those in the –code-switching group were not allowed to switch to their mother tongue. The findings of this study showed that there were no significant differences between the students’ speaking ability in terms of fluency and accuracy across the two groups. The complexity scores of the +code-switching group, however, was significantly higher than those in the –code-switching group. The results also showed a significant improvement in the speaking of the students in both groups. Based on the results, it can be said that that the use of controlled amounts of learner code-switching could be useful when complexity is the focus of an activity. Furthermore, no sign of detrimental effect of learner code-switching was traced in our study.
- Afroogh, M. R. (2018). Language-switching, language proficiency and task difficulty: A study on writing performance. International Journal of Linguistics, Literature and Translation, 1(1), 60-65. https://core.ac.uk/download/287360666.pdf
- Antón, M., & DiCamilla, F. J. (1999). Socio‐cognitive functions of L1 collaborative interaction in the L2 classroom. The Modern Language Journal, 83(2), 233-247. https://doi.org/10.1111/0026-7902.00018
- Atkinson, D. (1993). Teaching in the target language: A problem in the current orthodoxy. Language Learning Journal, 8(1), 2-5. https://doi.org/10.1080/09571739385200261
- Auerbach, E. R. (1993). Reexamining English-only in the ESL classroom. TESOL Quarterly, 27(1), 9-32. https://doi.org/10.2307/3586949
- Balosa, D. (2006). Three examples of better English learning through the L1. Essential Teacher, 3(1), 28-31.
- Bista, K. (2010). Factors of code switching among bilingual English students in the university classroom: A survey. English for Specific Purposes World, 9(29), 1-19. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED525827
- Bullock, B. E., & Toribio, A. J. E. (2009). The Cambridge handbook of linguistic code-switching. Cambridge University Press.
- Butzkamm, W., & Caldwell, J.A.W. (2009). The bilingual reform: A paradigm shift in foreign language teaching. Gunter Narr Verlag.
- Caine, R. N., & Caine, G. (1994). Mind/brain learning principles. Making connections: Teaching and the human brain. Addison-Wesley.
- Cook, V. (2001). Using the first language in the class-room. Canadian Modern Language Review, 57(3), 402-423. https://doi.org/10.3138/cmlr.57.3.402
- Cummins, J. (1981). Empirical and theoretical underpinnings of bilingual education. Journal of Education, 163(1), 16-29. https://doi.org/10.1177/002205748116300104
- Cummins, J. (2007). Rethinking monolingual instructional strategies in multilingual classrooms. Canadian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 10(2), 221-240. https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/CJAL/article/view/19743
- Ellis, R., & Yuan, F. (2004). The effects of planning on fluency, complexity, and accuracy in second language narrative writing. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 26(1), 59-84. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0272263104026130
- Enama, P. R. B. (2016). The impact of English-only and bilingual approaches to EFL instruction on low-achieving bilinguals in Cameroon: An empirical study. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 7(1), 19-30. https://doi.org/110.17507/JLTR.0701.03
- García, O. (2009). Bilingual education in the 21st century: A global perspective. WileyBlackwell
- Geranpayeh, A. (2003). A quick review of the English Quick Placement Test. Research Notes, 12, 8-10.
- Hardin, V. B. (2001). Transfer and variation in cognitive reading strategies of Latino fourth-grade students in a late-exit bilingual program. Bilingual Research Journal, 25(4), 539-561. https://doi.org/10.1080/15235882.2001.11074466
- Hasanah, A. N. (2019). The code switching produced by English lecturers in the English classroom [Unpublished doctoral dissertation]. Uin Sulthan Thaha Saifuddin Jambi. http://repository.uinjambi.ac.id/1257/
- Hoomanfard, M. H. (2017). EFL learners’ attitudes and perceptions of online and conventional peer written feedback: A tertiary level experience. Malaysian Journal of Languages and Linguistics, 6(1), 49-62. https://doi.org/10.24200/mjll.vol6iss1pp49-62
- Hoomanfard, M. H., Jafarigohar, M., & Jalilifar, A. R. (2021). Hindrances to L2 advanced students' incorporation of written feedback into their academic texts. Journal of Language Research, 12(37), 219-246. https://www.sid.ir/en/Journal/ViewPaper.aspx?ID=802555
- Hoomanfard, M. H., & Rahimi, M. (2020). A comparative study of the efficacy of teacher and peer feedback online written corrective feedback on EFL learners’ writing ability. Journal of Language Research, 11(33), 327-352. https://www.sid.ir/en/Journal/ViewPaper.aspx?ID=787463
- Jafarigohar, M., Hoomanfard, M. H., & Jalilifar, A. R. (2018). A typology of supervisor written feedback on L2 students’ theses/dissertations. Iranian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 21(2), 43-87. https://ijal.khu.ac.ir/article-1-2936-en.html
- Koylu, Z. (2018). The use of L1 in the tertiary L2 classroom: Code-switching factors, functions, and attitudes in Turkey. Electronic Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, 15(2), 271-289. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341001715_The_Use_of_L1_in_the_Tertiary_L2_Classroom_Code-switching_Factors_Functions_and_Attitudes_in_Turkey
- Mirhasani, A., & Mamaghani, H. (2009). Code-switching and Iranian EFL learners’ oral proficiency. Journal of Teaching English as a Foreign Language and Literature, 1(2), 21-31. https://www.sid.ir/en/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?id=201515
- Moodley, V. (2007). Codeswitching in the multilingual English first language classroom. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 10(6), 707-722. https://doi.org/10.2167/beb403.0
- Morini, G., & Newman, R. S. (2019). Dónde está la ball? Examining the effect of code switching on bilingual children's word recognition. Journal of Child Language, 46(6), 1238-1248. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0305000919000400
- Noorbar, S., & Mamaghani, H. J. (2016). The effect of code-switching on Iranian elementary EFL learners’ oral fluency, accuracy, and willingness to communicate. English Language Teaching, 3(4), 75-103. https://jmrels.journals.ikiu.ac.ir/article_1036.html
- Pachler, N., & Field, K. (2001). From mentor to co-tutor: Reconceptualising secondary modern foreign languages initial teacher education. Language Learning Journal, 23(1), 15-25. https://doi.org/10.1080/09571730185200051
- Peregoy, S. F., & Boyle, O. F. (2013). Reading, writing, and learning in ESL: A resource of teaching K-12 English learners. Pearson Education Inc.
- Prodromou, L. (2002). The role of the mother tongue in the classroom. IATEFL Issues (April-May), 6-8.
- Sert, O. (2005). The functions of code-switching in ELT classrooms. Online Submission, 11(8), 71-83. http://iteslj.org/Articles/Sert-CodeSwitching.html
- Simin, S., Teimouri, F., Kasmaee, H., & Rezaei, S. (2005). The role and the effects of code-switching in material learning. The first national conference on research in teaching English, translation, and linguistics, Isfahan, Iran.
- Stern, H. H. (1992). Issues and options in language teaching. Oxford University Press.
- Storch, N., & Wigglesworth, G. (2003). Is there a role for the use of the L1 in an L2 setting? TESOL Quarterly, 37(4), 760-770. https://doi.org/10.2307/3588224
- Swain, M., & Lapkin, S. (2000). Task-based second language learning: The uses of the first language. Language Teaching Research, 4(3), 251-274. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F136216880000400304
- Syamsudin, S. (2018). Improving EFL learners’ speaking skill through the use of code switching strategies in the conversation. Journal of English for Academic and Specific Purposes, 1(1), 1-12. https://ejournal.uin-malang.ac.id/index.php/jeasp/article/view/5241
- Ustunel, E. (2016). Code-switching studies of L2 classrooms. In E. Ustunel (Ed.), EFL classroom code-switching (pp. 47-81). Palgrave Macmillan.
- Vygotsky, L. S. (1962). Thought and language. In R. Robert & A. Carton (Eds.). The collected works of L. S. Vygotsky (Vol. 1): Problems of general psychology (pp. 239-285). Plenum.
- Willis, J. (1981). Teaching English through English. Longman
- Wolfe-Quintero, K., Inagaki, S., & Kim, H. Y. (1998). Second language development in writing: Measures of fluency, accuracy, & complexity (No. 17). University of Hawaii Press.