Document Type : Research article
1 Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Foreign Languages, Kharazmi University, Tehran, Iran,
2 Associate Professor, Department of Foreign Languages, Kharazmi University, Tehran, Iran
3 Professor, Department of Foreign Languages, Kharazmi University, Tehran, Iran
The present study investigated the role of semantic priming in the processing of ambiguous sentences containing Relative Clauses (RCs) preceded by a complex Noun Phrase (NP) by Persian native speakers. To this end, in a self-paced reading task using E-prime software, 63 Persian native speakers read sentences containing ambiguous RCs in their L1, i.e. Persian. The type of semantic relationship in this study was the one between the RC and one of the NPs within the complex NP to find out whether priming one of the NPs through this semantic manipulation would affect Persian native speakers’ attachment preferences. The results of the off-line post interpretive (RC attachment preferences) and on-line data (reading times) revealed that semantic priming affects participants’ attachment preferences, which suggests that their parsing preferences are not guided purely by syntactic information. The findings are in line with constraint-based models of sentence parsing, which assume that, during parsing, multiple sources of information interact and each of them constrains the interpretation in a particular way. The results also support the predictions of the Spreading Activation Model and Lexical Priming Theory.
- Anderson, J. R. (1983). A spreading activation theory of memory. Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior, 22(3), 261-295. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5371(83)90201-3
- Arabmofrad, A. & Marefat, H. (2008). RC attachment ambiguity resolution in Persian. Iranian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 12(1), 29-49. http://ijal.khu.ac.ir/article-1-71-en.html
- Bergmann, A., Armstrong, M., & Maday, K. (2008). Relative clause attachment in English and Spanish: A production study. In Proceedings of Speech Prosody (pp. 505-518). http://isle.illinois.edu/sprosig/sp2008/papers/id147.pdf
- Bidaoui, A., Foote, R., & Abunasser, M. (2016). Relative clause attachment in native and L2 Arabic. International Journal of Arabic Linguistics, 2(2), 75-95. https://revues.imist.ma/index.php/IJAL/article/view/11564
- Caffarra, S., Molinaro, N., Davidson, D., & Carreiras, M. (2015). Second language syntactic processing revealed through event-related potentials: An empirical review. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 51(1), 31-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2015.01.010
- Carreiras, M., & Clifton, C. (1999). Another word on parsing relative clauses: Eye tracking evidence from Spanish and English. Memory & cognition, 27(5), 826-833. https://doi.org/10.3758/bf03198535
- Collins, A. M., & Loftus, E. F. (1975). A spreading-activation theory of semantic processing. Psychological Review, 82(6), 407-428. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033295X.82.6.407
- Colins, A. M., & Loftus, E. F. (1999). A spreading-activation theory of semantic processing. Psychological Review, 82(6), 407-428. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ135579
- Colonna, S., Pynte, J., & Mitchell, D. C. (2000, March 30-April 1). Relative clause attachment in French: The role of constituent length. 13th CUNY conference on human sentence processing, La Jolla.
- Dekeyser, R. M. (2005). What makes learning second‐language grammar difficult? A review of issues. Language learning, 55(1), 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0023-8333.2005.00294.x
- Dekydtspotter, L., Donaldson, B., Edmonds, A. C., Fultz, A. L., & Petrush, R. A. (2008). Syntactic and prosodic computations in the resolution of relative clause attachment ambiguity by English-French learners. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 30(4), 453-480. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0272263108080728
- Delle Luche, C., Van Gompel, R. P., Gayraud, F., & Martinie, B. (2006). Effect of relative pronoun type on relative clause attachment. In R. Artstein & M. Poesio (Eds.), Ambiguity in Anaphora workshop proceedings (p. 23-30). Malaga.
- Desmet, T., DeBaecke, C., Drieghe, D., Brysbaert, M., & Vonk, W. (2006). Relative clause attachment in Dutch: On-line comprehension corresponds to corpus frequencies when lexical variables are taken into account. Language and Cognitive Processes, 21(4), 453-485. https://doi.org/10.1080/01690960400023485
- Desmet, T., & Declercq, M. (2006). Cross-linguistic priming of syntactic hierarchical configuration information. Journal of Memory and Language, 54(4), 610-632. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jml.2005.12.007
- Dussias, P. E. (2003). Syntactic ambiguity resolution in L2 learners: Some effects of bilinguality on L1 and L2 processing strategies. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 25(4), 529-557. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0272263103000238
- Ehrlich, K., Fernandez, E., Fodor, J. D., Stenshoel, E., & Vinereanu, M. (1999, March 18-20). Low attachment of RCs: New data from Swedish, Norwegian, and Romanian [Poster presentation]. The 12th annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing, New York.
- Faghiri, P., Samvelian, P., & Hemforth, B. (2014). Accessability and word order: The case of ditransitive constructions in Persian. In S. Müller (Ed.), Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar (pp. 217-237). CSLI Publications.
- Fernández, E. M. (2003). Bilingual sentence processing: RC attachment in English and Spanish. John Benjamins Publishing.
- Finger, I., & Zimmer, M. (2000). Relative clause attachment preference in Brazilian Portuguese. Unpublished manuscript.
- Fodor, J. D. (2002). Psycholinguistics cannot escape prosody. In B. Bell & I. Marlien (Eds.), Speech Prosody: Proceedings, Aix-en-Provence, France (pp. 83-88). Aboratoire Parole et Language – SPROSIG.
- Green, M. J., & Mitchell, D. C. (2006). Absence of real evidence against competition during syntactic ambiguity resolution. Journal of Memory and Language, 55(1), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jml.2006.03.003
- Hemforth, B., Fernández, S., Clifton Jr, C., Frazier, L., Konieczny, L., & Walter, M. (2015). Relative clause attachment in German, English, Spanish and French: Effects of position and length. Lingua, 166, 43–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lingua.2015.08.010
- Hemforth, B., Konieczny, L., & Scheepers, C. (2000). Syntactic attachment and anaphor resolution: The two sides of relative clause attachment. In M. W. Crocker, M. Pickering, & C. Clifton, Jr. (Eds.), Architectures and mechanisms for language processing (pp. 259-81). Cambridge University Press.
- Hoey, M. (2005). Lexical Priming: A new theory of words and language. Routledge.
- Iudina, M. V., Fedorova, O. V. (2009). Syntactic ambiguity resolution: Priming and self-priming effects. Computational Linguistics and Intellectual Technologies: Papers from the Annual International Conference “Dialogue 2009”, 8(15), 554-559.
- Jun, S. A., & Koike, C. (2008). Default prosody and relative clause attachment in Japanese. Japanese-Korean Linguistics, 13(1), 41-53. https://linguistics.ucla.edu/people/jun/JunKoike-final.pdf
- Kecskes, I. (2008). The effect of the second language on the first language. Babylonia, 2(2), 31-34. https://www.albany.edu/faculty/ikecskes/files/babyloniaproofkecskes.pdf
- Kecskes, I. (2014). Intercultural pragmatics. Oxford University Press.
- Kim, J. H., & Christianson, K. (2013). Sentence complexity and working memory effects in ambiguity resolution. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 42(5), 393-411. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10936-012-9224-4
- MacDonald, M. C. (1994). Probabilistic constraints and syntactic ambiguity resolution. Language and Cognitive Processes, 9(2), 157-201. https://doi.org/10.1080/01690969408402115
- Marefat, H., & Farzizadeh, B. (2018). Relative clause ambiguity resolution in L1 and L2: Are processing strategies transferred? Iranian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 21(1), 125-161. http://ijal.khu.ac.ir/article-1-2855-en.html
- Marefat, H., & Samadi, E., (2016). Semantic priming effect on relative clause attachment ambiguity resolution in L2. Applied Research on English Language, 4(2), 79-94. https://doi.org/10.22108/are.2015.15504
- Megerdoomian, K. (2000). Persian computational morphology: A unification-based approach. Computing Research Laboratory, New Mexico State University.
- Mitchell, D. C., Brysbaert, M., Grondelaers, S., & Swanepoel, P. (2000). Modifier attachment in Dutch: Testing aspects of construal theory. In A. Kennedy, R. Radach, D. Heller, & J. Pynte (Eds.), Reading as a perceptual process (pp. 493-516). Elsevier Science Publishers. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-008043642-5/50023-1
- Miyao, M., & Omaki, A. (2006). No ambiguity about it: Korean learners of Japanese have a clear attachment preference. In D. Bamman, T. Magnitskaia, & C. Zaller (Eds.) A supplement to the proceedings of the 30th Annual Boston University Conference on Language Development. http://www.bu.edu/bucld/files/2011/05/30-MiyaoBUCLD2005.pdf
- Omaki, A., & Ariji, K. (2004). Testing and attesting the use of structural information in L2 sentence processing. In L. Dekydtspotter, R. A. Sprouse & A. Liljestrand (Eds.), Proceedings of the 7th Generative Approaches to Second Language Acquisition Conference (pp. 205-218). Cascadilla Proceedings.
- Papadopoulou, D. (2005). Reading-time studies of second language ambiguity resolution. Second Language Research, 21(2), 98-120. https://doi.org/10.1191/0267658305sr254oa
- Papadopoulou, D., & Clahsen, H. (2003). Parsing strategies in L1 and L2 sentence processing: A study of relative clause attachment in Greek. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 25(4), 501-528. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0272263103000214
- Quillian, M. R. (1966). Semantic memory. Bolt, Beranak & Newman.
- Shabani, K. (2016, March). RC-attachment ambiguity resolution in Persian sentences [Paper presentation]. The Second International Conference on Behavioral Science and Social Studies, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Snowden, J. S. (2015). Semantic memory. In J. D. Wright (Ed.), International encyclopedia of the social & behavioral sciences (pp. 572-578). Elsevier.
- Taghvaipour, M. (2004). An HPSG analysis of Persian relative clauses. In S. Muller (Ed.), Proceedings of the HPSG-2004 conference, center for computational linguistics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, (pp. 274-293). CSLI Publications.
- Taleghani, A. H. (2008). Modality, aspect and negation in Persian (Vol. 128). John Benjamins Publishing.
- Thornton, R., Gil, M., & MacDonald, M. (1998): Accounting for cross-linguistic variation: A constraint-based perspective. In Hillert, D. (Ed.), Sentence processing: A crosslinguistic perspective. Syntax and semantics (volume 31) (pp. 211-223). Academic Press.
- Traxler, M. J. (2007). Working memory contributions to relative clause attachment processing: A hierarchical linear modeling analysis. Memory & Cognition, 35(5), 1107-1121. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193482
- Traxler, M. J., Foss, D. J., Seely, R. E., Kaup, B., & Morris, R. K. (2000). Priming in sentence processing: Intra-lexical spreading activation, schemas, and situation models. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 29(6), 581-595. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026416225168
- Traxler, M. J., Pickering, M. J., Clifton Jr, C., & van Gompel, R. (2000). Architectures and mechanisms for sentence processing: Is syntactic parsing a form of lexical ambiguity resolution? In Cross-linguistic perspectives on language processing (pp. 149-174). Springer.
- Zahn, D., & Scheepers, C. (2015). Overt prosody and plausibility as cues to relative-clause attachment in English spoken sentences. Peerj Preprints. http://doi.org/10.7287/peerj.preprints.1210v1