Document Type : Research article
1 Associate professor, Department of English Language Teaching, Payame Noor University (PNU), P.O.Box 19395-4697, Tehran, Iran
2 PhD, Department of English Language Teaching, Payame Noor University, (PNU), P.O.Box 19395-4697,Tehran, Iran
3 Assistant Professor, Department of English Language Teaching, Payame Noor University (PNU), P.O.Box 19395-4697, Tehran, Iran.
The present study set out to inspect how organizational and pragmatic knowledge can be functions of the assessment techniques practices implemented in the classroom. To this aim, the effects of teacher, peer, and self-assessment techniques that focused on providing feedback on pragmatic and organizational knowledge were compared. A total number of 98 female Iranian learners studying at pre-intermediate level in a language institute participated in the study. They were randomly assigned to one of the three groups of self-assessment (SA) (N = 32), peer-assessment (PA) (N = 33), and teacher-assessment (TA) (N = 33). Pragmatic competence was gauged using Discourse Role Play Talks (DRPTs) and organizational knowledge was assessed by a scale covering the grammatical and textual knowledge of the participants. The results of the analysis of one-way ANOVA test indicated that self-assessment followed by peer assessment had an advantage over the teacher assessment technique in promoting both pragmatic and organizational competence. In general, the obtained results yielded support for the employment of alternative methods of assessment as pedagogical tools to foster language competence. Implications for EFL pedagogy are discussed.
- Abedi, J. (2010). Adapting performance assessment for English language learners. In L. Darling-Hammond & F. Adamson(Eds.), Beyond the bubble test: How performance assessments support 21st century learning, (pp. 185-206). John Wiley & Sons.
- Abolfazli Khonbi, Z., & Sadeghi, K. (2015). Self-, peer-, and teacher-assessment: An investigation into Iranian EFL students’ attitudes. Studies in Second Language Learning and Teaching, 3(1), 87-107. https://doi.org/10.14746/ssllt.2013.3.1.5
- Andrade, H. (2010). Students as the definitive source of formative assessment: Academic self-assessment and the self-regulation of learning. In H. J. Andrade & G. J. Cizek (Eds.), Handbook of formative assessment (pp. 90-105). Routledge.
- Ashraf, H., & Mahdinezhad, M. (2015). The role of peer-assessment versus self-assessment in promoting autonomy in language use: A case of EFL learners. Journal of Language Testing, 5(2), 104-113. https://www.ijlt.ir/journal/images/PDF/437-2015-5-2.pdf
- Bachman, L. F. (1990). Fundamental considerations in language testing. Oxford University Press.
- Bachman, L. F., & Palmer, A. S. (1996). Language testing in practice: Designing and developing useful language tests. Oxford University Press.
- Bachman, L. F., & Palmer, A. S. (2010). Language assessment in practice. Oxford University Press.
- Beebe, L., & Takahashi, T. (1989). Sociolinguistic variation in face-threatening speech acts: Chastisement and disagreement. In M. Eisenstein (Ed.), The dynamic interlanguage: Empirical studies in second language variation (pp. 199-218). Plenum Press.
- Beebe, L., Takahashi, T., & Uliss-Weltz, R. (1990). Pragmatic transfer in ESL refusals. In R. C. Scarcella, E. Andersen, & S. D. Krashen (Eds.), Developing communicative competence in a second language, (pp. 55-73). Newbury House.
- Birjandi, P., & Derakhshan, A. (2014). Pragmatic comprehension of apology, request and refusal: An investigation on the effect of consciousness-raising video-driven prompts. Applied Research on English Language, 3(1), 67-86. https//doi.org/10.22108/ARE.2014.15479
- Birjandi, P., & HadidiTamjid, N. (2010). The role of self-assessment in promoting Iranian EFL learners’ motivation. English Language Teaching, 3(3), 211-220. https//doi.org/10.5539/elt.v3n3p211
- Birjandi, P., & Siyyari, M. (2010). Self-assessment and peer-assessment: A comparative study of their effect on writing performance and rating accuracy. Iranian Journal of Applied Linguistics (IJAL), 13, 23-45. https://ijal.khu.ac.ir/article-1-44-en.html
- Butler, Y. G., & Lee, J. (2010). The effects of self-assessment among young learners of English. Language Testing, 27(1), 5-31. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265532209346370
- Canale, M. (1983). A communicative approach to language proficiency assessment in a minority setting. In C. Rivera (Ed.), Communicative competence approaches to language proficiency assessment: Research and application, (pp. 107-122). Multilingual Matters.
- Canale, M. (1984). From communicative competence to communicative language pedagogy. In J. C. Richards & R. W. Schmidt (Eds.), Language and communication, (pp. 2-27). Longman.
- Canale, M., & Swain, M. (1980). Theoretical bases of communicative approaches to second language teaching and testing. Applied Linguistics, 1, 1-47. https://doi.org/10.1093/applin/i.1.1
- Chen, Y. M. (2006). Peer- and self-assessment for English oral performance: A study of reliability and learning benefits. English Teaching and Learning, 30(4), 1-22. https://doi.org/10.6330/ETL.2006.30.4.01
- Coombe, C., Folse, K., & Hubley, N. (2007). A practical guide to assessing English language learners. University of Michigan. https://doi.org/10.3998/mpub.170430
- Crooks, T. (2001, September 13-15). The validity of formative assessment [Paper presentation]. The British Educational Research Association Annual Conference, University of Leeds. https://www.leeds.ac.uk/educol/documents/00001862.htm.
- Crystal, D. (1997). A dictionary of linguistics and phonetics (4th Ed.). Blackwell.
- Darling-Hammond, L., Flook, L., Cook-Harvey, Ch., Barron., B., & Osher, D. (2020) Implications for educational practice of the science of learning and development, Applied Developmental Science, 24(2), 97-140. https://doi.org/10.1080/10888691.2018.1537791
- De Saint-Léger, D. (2009). Self-assessment of speaking skill and participation in foreign language class. Foreign Language Annals, 42, 158-178. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1944-9720.2009.01013.x
- Enochs, K., & Yoshitake-Strain, S. (1999). Evaluating six measures of EFL learners’ pragmatic competence. Japan Association for Language Teaching Journal (JALT), 21(1), 29-50. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1944-9720.2009.01013.x
- Felix-Brasdefer, J. C. (2006). Linguistic politeness in Mexico: Refusal strategies among male speakers of Mexican Spanish. Journal of Pragmatics, 38(12), 2158-2187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pragma.2006.05.004
- Felix-Brasdefer, J. C. (2008). Perceptions of refusals to invitations: Exploring the minds of foreign language learners. Language Awareness, 17(3), 195-211. https://doi.org/10.1080/09658410802146818
- Goldman, S., & Pellegrino, J. (2015). Research on learning and instruction: Implications for curriculum, instruction, and assessment. Policy Insights from the Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 2(1), 33-41. https://doi.org/10.1177/2372732215601866
- Grabowski, K. (2013). Investigating the construct validity of a role-play test designed to measure grammatical and pragmatic knowledge at multiple proficiency levels. In S. J. Ross & G. Kasper (Eds.), Assessing second language pragmatics, (pp. 149-171). Macmillan.
- Hariri Asl, M. H., & Marandi, S. (2017). Peer-assessment and student-driven negotiation of meaning: Two ingredients for creating social presence in online EFL social contexts. Issues in Language Teaching (ILT), 6(1), 117-144. https://doi.org/10.22054/ILT.2017.8421
- Harris, M. (1997). Self-assessment of language learning in formal settings. English Language Teaching (ELT) Journal, 51(1), 12-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/51.1.12
- Hudson, T., Detmer, E., & Brown, J. D. (1992). A framework for testing cross-cultural pragmatics (Technical Report 2). University of Hawai'i, Second Language Teaching and Curriculum Center.
- Hymes, D. (1972). On communicative competence. In J. B. Pride & J. Holmes (Eds.), Sociolinguistics, (pp. 269-293). Penguin.
- Ifantidou, E. (2013). Pragmatic competence and explicit instruction. Journal of Pragmatics, 59, 93-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pragma.2012.12.008
- Ishihara, N., & Cohen, A. D. (2014). Teaching and learning pragmatics: Where language and culture meet. Routledge.
- Kasper, G., & Rose, K. R. (2001). Pragmatics in language teaching. In K. R. Rose & G. Kasper (Eds.), Pragmatics in language teaching (pp. 1-9). Cambridge University Press.
- Kasper, G., & Rose, K. R. (2002). Pragmatic development in a second language. Blackwell.
- Kasper, G., & Youn, S. (2018). Transforming instruction to activity: Role play in language assessment. Applied Linguistics Review, 9(4), 589-616. https://doi.org/10.1515/applirev-2017-0020
- Kitsantas, A., Robert, A., & Doster, J. (2004). Developing self-regulated learners: Goal setting, self-evaluation, and organizational signals during acquisition of procedural skills. The Journal of Experimental Education, 72(4), 269-287. https://doi.org/10.3200/jexe.72.4.269-287
- Lee, I. (2007). Assessment for learning: Integrating assessment, teaching, and learning in the ESL/EFL writing classroom. Canadian Modern Language Review, 64(1), 199-213. https://doi.org/10.3138/cmlr.64.1.199
- McMillan, J. H., & Hearn, J. (2008). Student self-assessment: The key to stronger student motivation and higher achievement. Educational Horizons, 87(1), 40-49. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ815370.pdf
- Meisels, S., Atkins-Burnett, S., Xue, Y., & Bickel, D. D. (2003). Creating a system of accountability: The impact of instructional assessment on elementary children’s achievement scores. Educational Policy Analysis Archives. 11(9), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.14507/epaa.v11n9.2003
- Munby, J. (1978). Communicative syllabus design. Cambridge University Press.
- Pakzadian, S., & Tajeddin, Z. (2014). Dynamic self-assessment: Is it an effective task for pragmatic development and meta pragmatic awareness? Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 136, 283-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.05.329
- Panadero, E, Jonsson, A., & Botella, J. (2017) Effects of self-assessment on self-regulated learning and self-efficacy: Four meta-analyses. Educational Research Review, 22, 74-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.edurev.2017.08.004
- Pitsoulakis, D., & Bailey, A. L. (2016, April). Extending learning progressions to self-assessment: Students finding “best fit” for next-steps learning and instruction [Paper presentation]. The Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Annual Conference, Washington, DC.
- Poehner, M. E., Davin, K. J., & Lantolf, J. P. (2017). Dynamic assessment. In E. Shohamy, L. G. Or, & S. May (Eds.), Language teaching and assessment, (pp. 243-256). Springer International Publishing.
- Purpura, J. (2017). Assessing meaning. In E. Shohamy, L. G. Or, & S. May (Eds.), Language teaching and assessment, (pp. 33-62). Springer International Publishing.
- Rahmany, R., Hassani, M. T., & Noroozi Larsari, V. (2013). The role of self-assessment in promoting Iranian EFL learners’ motivation in reading English texts. Life Science Journal, 10(7), 983-988. https://www.lifesciencesite.com
- Richards, J. C. (2008). Teaching listening and speaking: From theory to practice. Cambridge University Press.
- Richards, J. C., & Schmidt, R. (2010). Longman dictionary of language teaching and applied linguistics (4th ed.). Pearson Longman.
- Ross, S. (2005). The impact of assessment method on foreign language proficiency growth. Applied Linguistics, 26(3), 317-342. https://doi.org/10.1093/applin/ami011
- Schunk, D. H. (1989). Social-cognitive theory and self-regulated learning. In D. H. Schunk & B. J. Zimmerman (Eds.), Self-regulated learning and academic achievement: Theory, research and practice, (pp. 83-110). Springer-Verlag.
- Shams, N., & Tavakoli, M. (2014). The effect of peer, self, and traditional assessment on Iranian EFL learners’ L2 reading comprehension. Journal of Applied Linguistics and Language Research, 1(1), 29-44.
- Shih, K. P., Chen, H. C., Chang, C. Y., & Kao, T. C. (2010). The development and implementation of scaffolding-based self-regulated learning system for e/m-learning. Educational Technology and Society, 13(1), 80-93. https://www.learntechlib.org/p/75236/
- Sluijsmans, D., Brand-Gruwel, S., van Merriënboer, J., & Bastiaens, T. (2003). The training of peer-assessment skills to promote the development of reflection skills in teacher education. Studies in Educational Evaluation, 29(1), 23-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0191-491x(03)90003-4
- Soleimani, H., & Rahmanian, M. (2014). Self-, peer-, and teacher-assessments in writing improvement: A study of complexity, accuracy, and fluency. Journal of Research in Applied Linguistics, 5(2), 128-148. https://rals.scu.ac.ir/article_11016_994f2efb124ba6e4ccbddf3a1b517656.pdf
- Swain, M. (2005). The output hypothesis: Theory and research. In E. Hinkel (Ed.), Handbook of research in second language teaching and learning, (pp. 471-483). Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Sykes, I. M. (2013). Learner apologies in Spanish. Technology in Interlanguage Pragmatics Research and Teaching, 36, 71-100. https://benjamins.com/catalog/lllt.36.05syk
- Taguchi, N., & Roever, C. (2017). Second language pragmatics. Oxford University Press.
- Tajeddin, Z., Alemi, M., & Yasaie, H. (2018). Classroom assessment literacy for speaking: Exploring novice and experienced English language teachers’ knowledge and practice. Iranian Journal of Language Teaching Research, 6(3), 57-77. https://doi.org/10.30466/ijltr.2018.120601
- Taras, M. (2008). Summative and formative assessment. Active Learning in Higher Education, 9(2), 172-192. https://doi.org/10.1177/1469787408091655
- Topping, K. J. (2009). Peer-assessment. Theory into Practice, 48(1), 20-27. https://doi.org/10.1080/00405840802577569
- Turner, C. E., & Purpura, J. E. (2016). Learning-oriented assessment in second and foreign language classrooms. In D. Tsagari & J. Banerjee (Eds.), Handbook of second language assessment. DeGruyter Mouton.
- Widdowson, H. G. (1983). Learning purpose and language use. Oxford University Press.
- Wiliam, D., & Thompson, M. (2007). Integrating assessment with instruction: What will it take to make it work? In C. A. Dwyer (Ed.), The future of assessment: Shaping teaching and learning, (pp. 53-82). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Williams, J. (2012). The potential role(s) of writing in second language development. Journal of Second Language Writing, 21, 321-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jslw.2012.09.007
- Wolters, C. (1999). The relation between high school students’ motivational regulation and their use of learning strategies, effort, and classroom performance. Learning and Individual Differences, 11, 281-299. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1041-6080(99)80004-1
- Zarei, A. A., & Usefi, Z. (2015). The effect of assessment type on EFL learners’ goal orientation. Journal of Language, Linguistics and Literature, 1(4), 112-119. https://www.aiscience.org/journal/j3l
- Zimmerman, B. J. (2011). Motivational sources and outcomes of self-regulated learning and performance. In B. J. Zimmerman & D. H. Schunk (Eds.), Handbook of self-regulation of learning and performance, (pp. 49-64). Routledge.