Document Type : Research article
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Humanities, University of Zanjan, Zanjan, Iran
Associate Professor, Faculty of Humanities, University of Zanjan, Zanjan, Iran.
MA Graduate, Faculty of Humanities, University of Zanjan, Zanjan, Iran
The growing inclusion of technological devices in language learning calls for exploring their efficacy and determining to what extent learners’ characteristics mediate their effectiveness. In light of these concerns, the current study has sought to examine the relationship between learning English vocabulary via mobile phone and the learners’ personality traits. The participants of the study were 100 intermediate English as foreign language (EFL) learners studying English at the University of Zanjan, Zanjan, Iran. Sixty American English idioms were chosen and made available in a Telegram channel, during a six-week period of treatment to provide the participants with Mobile-Assisted Language Learning (MALL). A researcher-designed achievement test was administered to assess the learners’ vocabulary learning via mobile phone. Big Five Inventory (BFI)” (John et al. 2008) was used to estimate the learners’ personality traits. The data analyses showed no significant correlation between the variables; however, simultaneous multiple regression offered extraversion as the unique significant predictor. The results revealed MALL not only frees the learners from the restrictions of time and place, but also minimizes the possible intervention of learners’ characteristics in the process of language learning. The fruitfulness of MALL in leaving behind students’ characteristics has important implications for both educators and practitioners.
- Afzali, P., Shabani, S., Basir, Z., & Ramazani, M. (2017). Mobile-assisted vocabulary learning: A review study. Advances in Language and Literary Studies, 8(2), 190-195. https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.alls.v.8n.2p.190
- Ali, Z., Mukundan, J., Ayub, A., & Baki, R. (2011). The effectiveness of using contextual clues, dictionary strategy and computer assisted language learning (CALL) in learning vocabulary. International Journal of Business and Social Research (IJBSR), 1(1), 136-152. https://doi.org/10.18533/ijbsr.v1i1.218
- Al-Hamad, R. F., Al-Jamal, D. A. H., & Bataineh, R. F. (2019). The effect of MALL instruction on teens' writing performance. Digital Education Review, 35, 289-298. https://doi.org/10.1344/der.2019.35.289-298
- Al Saidi, F. A., & Al Shezawi, R. A. (2020). Smartphones fostering English language learners’ vocabulary. Proceedings of the 20th TESOL Arabia Conference: Methods and means in ELT. https://doi.org/10.1177/21582440221079627
- American Psychological Association (2020). Retrieved July 29, 2017, from http://www.apa.org/topics/personality/
- Amiryousefi, M., & Dastjerdi, H. V. (2010). Vocabulary: Challenges and debates. English Language Teaching, 3(3), 89-94. https://doi.org/10.5539/elt.v3n3p89
- Baleghizadeh, S., & Oladrostam, E. (2010). The effect of mobile assisted language learning (MALL) on grammatical accuracy of EFL students. Mextesol Journal, 34(2), 77-86. https://www.mextesol.net/journal/index.php?page=journal&id_article=50
- Bayram, S., Deniz, L., & Erdogan, Y. (2008). The role of personality traits in web based education. The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology (TOJET), 7(2), 41-50. http://www.tojet.net/articles/v7i2/725.pdf
- Bensalem, E. (2018). The impact of WhatsApp on EFL students' vocabulary learning. Arab World English Journal, 9(1), 23- 38. https://dx.doi.org/10.24093/awej/vol9no1.2
- Biedroń, A. (2011). Personality factors as predictors of foreign language aptitude. Studies in Second Language Learning and Teaching, 1(4), 467-489. https://doi.org/10.14746/ssllt.2011.1.4.2
- Carrell, P. L., Prince, M. S., & Astika, G. G. (1996). Personality types and language learning in an EFL context. Language Learning, 46(1), 75-99.
- Chen, C. J. (2014). Using concept mapping instruction in mobile phone to learning English vocabulary. Creative Education, 5(1), 4-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/ce.2014.51002
- Cherry, K. (2020). Theories and terminology of personality psychology. Verywellmind. https://www.verywellmind.com/personality-psychology-study-guide-2795699
- Chinnery, G. M. (2006). Going to the MALL: Mobile assisted language learning. Language Learning & Technology, 10(1), 9-16. https://www.learntechlib.org/p/74432/
- Cocoradă, E., Maican, C. I., Cazan, A., & Maican, A. M. (2018). Assessing smartphone risk addiction and its associations with personality traits among adolescents. Children and Youth Services Review, 93, 345-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2018.08.006
- Constantinescu, A. I. (2007). Using technology to assist in vocabulary acquisition and reading comprehension. The Internet TESL Journal, XIII(2), 122‐133. http://iteslj.org/Articles/Constantinescu-Vocabulary.html
- Crozier, W. R. (1997). Individual learners: Personality differences in education. Routledge.
- Dewan, S., & Ho, K. (2013). The effects of learners’ personality traits on m-learning. In H. Deng & C. Standing (Eds.), ACIS 2013: Information systems: Transforming the Future: Proceedings of the 24th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, Melbourne, Australia (pp. 1-11). http://mo.bf.rmit.edu.au/acis2013/237.pdf
- Esmaeili, N. (2018). The association between anxiety and perfectionism in writing: Iranian EFL learners' writing performance on IELTS [Unpublished master’s thesis]. University of Zanjan, Zanjan, Iran.
- Fageeh, A. A. I. (2013). Effects of MALL applications on vocabulary acquisition and motivation. Arab World English Journal, 4(4), 420-447.
- Gürlüyer, M. (2019). Examining students’ perceptions and achievements in terms of the utilization of WhatsApp in learning EFL vocabulary. Kafdağı, 4(2), 173-193. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/kafdagi/issue/51260/661338
- Han, T., & Keskin, F. (2016). Using a mobile application (WhatsApp) to reduce EFL speaking anxiety. Gist Education and Learning Research Journal, 12(1), 29-50. https://doi.org/10.26817/16925777.243
- Hassanzadeh, V., Gholami, R., Allahyar, N., & Noordin, N. (2012). Motivation and personality traits of TESL postgraduate students towards the use of information and communications technology (ICT) in second language teaching. English Language Teaching, 5(4), 74-86. https://doi.org/10.5539/elt.v5n4p74
- Hsiao, K. L. (2017). Compulsive mobile application usage and technostress: The role of personality traits. Online Information Review, 41(2), 272-295. https://doi.org/10.1108/OIR-03-2016-0091
- Hu, Z. (2013). Vocabulary learning assisted by mobile phones: Perceptions of Chinese adult learners. Journal of Cambridge Studies, 8(1), 139-154. https://doi.org/10.17863/CAM.1468
- John, O. P., Naumann, L. P., & Soto, C. J. (2008). Paradigm shift to the integrative Big-Five trait taxonomy: History, measurement, and conceptual issues. In O. P. John, R. W. Robins, & L. A. Pervin (Eds.), Handbook of personality: Theory and research (pp. 114-158). The Guilford Press.
- John, O. P., & Srivastava, S. (1999). The Big-Five trait taxonomy: History, measurement, and theoretical perspectives. In L. Pervin & O. P. John (Eds.), Handbook of personality: Theory and research (2nd ed.) (pp. 102-138). The Guilford Press.
- Kacetl, J., & Klímová, B. (2019). Use of smartphone applications in English language learning: A challenge for foreign language education. Education Science, 9(3), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci9030179
- Kamal, A., & Radhakrishnan, S. (2019). Individual learning preferences based on personality traits in an E-learning scenario. Education and Information Technologies, 24, 407-435. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10639-018-9777-4
- Kao, P. C., & Craigie, P. (2014). Effects of English usage on Facebook and personality traits on achievement of students learning English as a foreign language. Social Behavior and Personality, 42(1), 17-24. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2014.42.1.17
- Kaufmann, S. (2016). Personality has less impact on language learning than you think. Huffington Post.
- Komachali, M. E. (2012). The effect of using vocabulary flash card on Iranian pre-university students. Vocabulary Knowledge, 5(3), 134-147. https://doi.org/10.5539/Ies.V5n3p134
- Komarraju, M., Karau, S. J., & Schmeck, R. R. (2009). Role of the Big Five personality traits in predicting college students' academic motivation and achievement. Learning and Individual Differences, 19(1), 47-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2008.07.001
- Korlu, H., & Mede, E. (2018). Autonomy in vocabulary learning of Turkish EFL learners. The Eurocall Review, 26(2), 58-70. https://doi.org/10.4995/eurocall.2018.10425
- Kukulska‐Hulme, A. (2020). Mobile‐assisted language learning. In C. A. Chapelle (Ed.), The encyclopedia of applied linguistics (pp. 1-9). John Wiley & Sons. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781405198431.wbeal0768.pub2
- Lane, W., & Manner, C. (2011). The impact of personality traits on smartphone ownership and use. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(17), 22-28. https://ijbssnet.com/view.php?u=http://ijbssnet.com/journals/Vol_2_No_17/4.pdf
- La Spisa, L. (2015). Using small talk cards to help lower the affective filter and increase language acquisition in adult English learners [Unpublished master’s thesis]. William Paterson University.
- Lee, S., Tam, C. L. & Chie, Q. T. (2013). Mobile phone usage preferences: The contributing factors of personality, social anxiety and loneliness. Social Indicators Research, 118(3), 1205-1228. http://www.jstor.org/stable/24721058
- Lewis, M. (1993). The lexical approach: The state of ELT and a way forward. Language Teaching Publications.
- Li, J., & Cummins, J. (2019). Effect of using texting on vocabulary instruction for English learners. Language Learning & Technology, 23(2), 43-64. https://doi.org/10125/44682
- Li, M., Ogata, H., Hou, B., Hashimoto, S., Uosaki, N., Liu, Y., & Yano, Y. (2010, April). Development of adaptive vocabulary learning via mobile phone e-mail. In 2010 6th IEEE International Conference on Wireless, Mobile, and Ubiquitous Technologies in Education (pp. 34-41). IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/WMUTE.2010.9
- Lin, J. J., & Lin, H. (2019). Mobile-assisted ESL/EFL vocabulary learning: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Computer Assisted Language Learning, 32(8), 878-919. https://doi.org/10.1080/09588221.2018.1541359
- Lu, M. (2008). Effectiveness of vocabulary learning via mobile phone. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 24(6), 515-525. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2729.2008.00289.x
- Mahdi, H. S. (2018). Effectiveness of mobile devices on vocabulary learning: A meta-analysis. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 56(1), 134-154. https://doi.org/10.1177/0735633117698826
- MALL Research Project Report. (2009). Mobile application for language learning. Curriculum Corporation: The Learning Federation. http://www.thelearningfederation.edu.au/verve/_resources/MALL_Report_final.pdf
- Marcela, V. (2015). Learning strategy, personality traits and academic achievement of university students. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 174, 3473-3478. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.1021
- McCarthy, M., & O’Dell, F. (2004). English idioms in use. Cambridge University Press.
- Miri, F., & Shamsaddini, M. R. (2014). The effect of different personality traits on Iranian EFL learners' vocabulary learning. Indian Journal of Fundamental and Applied Life Sciences, 4(2), 106-115. http://www.cibtech.org/J-LIFE-SCIENCES/PUBLICATIONS/2014/Vol-4-No-2/JLS-017-023-FATEMEH-THE-LEARNING.pdf
- Payne, S. C., Youngcourt, S. S., & Beaubien, J. M. (2007). A meta-analytic examination of the goal orientation nomological net. Journal of Applied Psychology, 92(1), 128-150. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.92.1.128
- Piaget, J. (1970). Science of education and the psychology of the child (D. Coltman, Trans.). Orion.
- Richards, J. C., & Rodgers T. S. (2001). Approaches and methods in language teaching. Cambridge University Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511667305
- Richards, J. C., & Schmidt, R. (2010). Longman dictionary of language teaching and applied linguistics. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315833835
- Saran, M., Seferoglu, G., & Cagiltay, K. (2012). Mobile language learning: Contribution of multimedia messages via mobile phones in consolidating vocabulary. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 21(1), 181-190. https://hdl.handle.net/11511/52396
- Saranraj, L., & Meenakshi, K. (2016). Influence of motivation factor and anxiety in L2 learning among engineering students in Dharmapuri, India. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(18), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i18/90371
- Scheid, S. (2015). Cultural and personal factors affecting mobile language learning: An investigative approach (Publication No. 97850) [Master’s thesis, University of Tampere]. http://urn.fi/URN:NBN:fi:uta-201507292184
- Schmitt, N. (2000). Vocabulary in language teaching. Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781108569057
- Setzler, H. H. (1981). Basic idioms in American English. Science Research Associates.
- Shahbaz, M., & Khan, R. M. I. (2017). Use of mobile immersion in foreign language teaching to enhance target language vocabulary learning. MIER Journal of Educational Studies Trends & Practices, 7(1), 66-82. https://doi.org/10.52634/mier/2017/v7/i1/1448
- Sole, R. C, Calic, J., & Neijmann, D. (2010). A social and self-reflective approach to MALL. ReCALL, 22(1), 39-52. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0958344009990188
- Soto, C. J. & John, O. P. (2009). Ten facet scales for the Big Five Inventory: Convergence with NEO PI-R facets, self-peer agreement, and discriminant validity. Journal of Research in Personality, 43, 84-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2008.10.002
- Srivastava, S. (2017). Measuring the Big Five personality factors. https://pages.uoregon.edu/sanjay/bigfive.html
- Vasbieva, D. G., Klimova, I. I., Agibalova, E. L., Karzhanova, N. V., & Bírová, J. (2016). Enhancement of students' vocabulary learning through a blended learning approach. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 11(5), 1195-1203.
- Wang, Y. H., & Shih, S. K. H. (2015). Mobile-assisted language learning: Effects on EFL vocabulary learning. International Journal of Mobile Communications, 13(4), 358-375. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMC.2015.070060
- Vygotsky, L. S. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. M. Cole, V. John-Steiner, S. Scribner, & E. Souberman (Eds.). Harvard University Press. https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctvjf9vz4
- Yaghoobinejad, N., & Ahour, T. (2019). The relationship between Iranian EFL students’ personality characteristics and their assertiveness: A case of postgraduate students. The Journal of English Language Pedagogy and Practice, 12, 138-156. https://doi.org/10.30495/JAL.2019.671930
- Zhang, H., Song, W., & Burston, J. (2011). Reexamining the effectiveness of vocabulary learning via mobile phones. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology (TOJET), 10(3), 203-214.